Soy candles are a great eco-friendly alternative to paraffin candles. Our choice to use soy wax was an easy decision, soy beans are better for the planet. Soy candles burn 30-50% longer and do not contain the toxins that paraffin candles have. Although anytime you have a flame you do have soot, our 100% all-natural soy wax candles produce 95% less soot if burned properly, so that means less black soot on your walls, ceilings and furniture.
Here are a few tips on how to get the longest life out of your candle:
- When burning your soy candle for the first time, it is important to allow the candle to burn for 2 1/2-3 hours. Soy wax has a “memory” which helps to stop the candle from “tunneling” down the center of the container. Tunneling may cause you not to get the best scent throw. By allowing your soy candle to create a wide initial wax pool, you will ensure the candle has a good scent throw. We find that the best way to create the initial memory burn is to carefully move the melted wax around the candle in a circular motion once there is a substantial amount of melted wax. From then on your candle should not tunnel and will melt evenly.
- To prevent your soy candle from producing black soot, always trim your wick to 1/4″ before lighting your candle. Always burn your candle on a level, heat resistant surface. If the wick begins to have a large flame, starts flickering constantly, or if the wick becomes larger than 1/4″ extinguish the flame with a wick dipper (a great tool for extinguishing your candle without creating a lot of smoke) let cool for 1-2 hours, re-trim wick and re-light. Always keep the wick centered, this is best done after the candle has been extinguished and the wax is still soft.
- Our natural fiber wicks are self-trimming and are made to curl slightly when burning which help our candles to produce lower soot. At times a carbon mushroom may appear at the top of the wick, this is unburned carbon that has collected on the wick. If this happens to your candle, extinguish it and let cool and trim the wick to 1/4″ and re-light your candle.
- If for some reason you cannot smell the scent of the candle you are burning, leave the room for a few minutes (10+) and let your olfactory sense (our sense mechanism that allows us to smell) to adjust. We use a 100% scent blend throughout the entire of our candles meaning that there is scent from the top to the bottom of the candle (unlike some candle companies) and many times the olfactory just becomes accustomed to your surroundings and blocks out scents that are in your immediate area. When you return you should be able to smell the fragrance.
- Although Agnes and Cat candles are highly fragrant, sometimes the homes we live in have large open spaces that combine many living areas. Some of our fragrances are bolder and will scent an entire home, while others are lighter and have been designed to achieve a soothing ambiance. Our recommendation for those with large living spaces is to have an additional Agnes and Cat candle to achieve maximum scent throw for these larger living spaces.
- Unlike paraffin wax melts, our all-natural soy wax melts do not evaporate. After the scent is burned off, simply pour the soy wax into a lined trash can, or similar container. Our soy wax is bio-degradable. Never pour wax down your sink drain, it can clog.
- Our soy wax is bio-degradable and cleans up with hot soapy water.
Agnes and Cat candles are not body safe, please do not apply melted wax to your skin. We use a high percentage of fragrance oils in our candles and some oils are not body safe.
Soy Candle Safety
- Keep wick trimmed to 1/4″ at all times to ensure even burning & to prevent the flame from becoming to large.
- Keep out of reach of children & pets.
- Always burn candles within sight, never leave candles unattended.
- Burn on a stable heat resistant surface.
- Always discard any twine, hanging tags and candle package boxes before burning.
- Extinguish the flame if it becomes to close to the side of your container.
- Keep away from drafts & vents. Always keep candle away from anything that can catch fire.
- Do not touch or move candle when lit or when wax is melted, glass can become hot.
- Never burn candle more than 4 hours.
- Keep wax free of wick trimmings, matches and any other flammable material.
- Burn your soy candle in a well ventilated room.
- Do not burn candle when wax is 1/2″ or less from the bottom of the container.
- Extinguish your candle if it smokes or if flame becomes larger than 1″. Let candle cool for at least an hour, trim wick and re-light.
- To discard wax pour in a trash can, or similar container, never pour wax down sink drains.