Hand filled fragrant soy candles made in our Lakeland workshop

Have allergies, skin problems or sensitive skin?

We’re always surprised at how many of our customers suffer with severe allergies, problematic and/or sensitive skin. But we’re even more surprised that not many seem to know about certain chemicals in every day skin care products such as SLS, Limonene and Linalool which can aggravate these problems even more!

 

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (commonly known as SLS) is a widely used and inexpensive chemical found in many mainstream personal hygiene products such as shampoos, toothpastes, mouthwashes, soaps, detergents and body wash, along with Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) and Ammonium Laurel Sulfate (ALS). SLS is a detergent and surfuctant which essentially means that it breaks surface tension and separates molecules in order to allow better interaction between the product and you. This in turn creates a lather which makes products such as shampoo, soap and toothpaste more effective cleaners. Because it is so effective and so inexpensive, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is found in a number of industrial cleaning agents such as engine degreaser and industrial strength detergents… It’s also widely used as a skin irritant when testing products used to heal skin conditions.

SLS is something we highly recommend our customers AVOID if they suffer from problematic skin as it can be an extreme skin irritant and make your skin worse. If you find that you come up in a rash every time you use bubble bath or wash your hands in soap then it is most likely that it is the SLS within the product that is causing the irritation.

But don’t worry this doesn’t mean that you can’t use shampoo, bath bombs or soap ever again, SLS free products do exist. Our 100% natural cold press soaps & bath bombs are SLS free (we made sure of that). Our goats milk soap range is the most popular with our customers with sensitive skin as the goats milk works as an anti-inflammatory and soothes rashes, burns and allergic reactions (perfect for those with itchy eczema or psoriasis). Most of our products contain essential oils. Linalool and Limonene are two naturally occurring chemicals which are produced by essential oils. Essential oils have some amazing health benefits but unfortunately a small handful of people are allergic to them.

As we know that some people can also be allergic to Linalool and Limonene (naturally found in essential oils) we have created an Unfragranced Goats Milk soap which doesn’t contain these chemicals. Our Unfragranced Goats Milk soap was actually short listed for the FreeFrom SkinCare awards 2014.

Unless you are allergic to any of these ingredients “Olive Oil, Goats Milk, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil” then we highly recommend it.

 

Linalool and Limonene are different because they give off different scents. If you find yourself coming up with a rash or and allergic reaction to citrusy scents such as lemon or orange then you may be allergic to Limonene so watch out for that on ingredients. However over 200 species of plants which are used to create natural fragrances in skin care products produce Linalool. If you find yourself allergic to scents such as: mint, herbs, cinnamon, rosewood and citrus fruits such as grapefruit then unfortunately you may be allergic to Linalool.

Please ask a member of staff if you have any queriers about purchasing our products and please make any skin problems known as we can find the best product to suit your needs.

We hope this helps!

Share this post
  , , , ,


2 thoughts on “Have allergies, skin problems or sensitive skin?

  1. Today I visited your beautiful shop in Windermere with my little girl Evelyn who was looking at your gorgeous smelling bath bombs whilst I was choosing a gift for her nana. Once I had decided on some of your intriguing bath salts, my partner left the store with Evelyn whilst I paid. The most loveliest man and lady in the store were so friendly and made my visit even more memorable by wrapping up the bath bomb my daughter was looking at and placed it in my bag as a gift for her. Little touches like this truely are so special and the smile on her face when I told her could of lit up the world and that was thanks to both of them. Thankyou so much again and I wish you all the success and happiness.

  2. I first visited the Windermere store in March this year , I suffer from psoriasis and it was here where I was introduced to bath salts, I bought some and as recommended used daily for 2 weeks, the difference it made was incredible it soothes the dryness but really helps it to shift too. From having conversations with all the two owners I left feeling positive and intrigued. My mum then visited for some soy candles and met their daughter who I met the following time I visited who explained the sls free shampoo so from this advice I also changed my shampoo. Lovely family, who were all so helpful and genuine. Love this shop.

Leave a Reply